percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Lab chimp speaks his own language

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karey L. Perkins" <karey AT charter.net>
  • To: <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Lab chimp speaks his own language
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 12:34:54 -0500

The thing to think about is -- Kanzi IS communicating, but is Kanzi dealing in sign or symbol?  Is he developing a mythology and a  "world"?  I think Percy would say no...pointing to grape "icons" and going outside the cage are still interactions in an "environment" (cf. Percy's definition of "world" and "environment"...)

KP