percy-l - RE: [percy-l] Re: animals, order, symbol, self-consciousness, and The Fall of Man

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Parlin, Steven" <PARLINS AT culver.org>
  • To: "'percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [percy-l] Re: animals, order, symbol, self-consciousness, and The Fall of Man
  • Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 12:55:53 -0500

Jim, It wasn't addressed to me, but to Marcus, but I'd still like to comment
on the following:

"Perhaps there can be no objective evidence of symbol se -- that one can
always choose to interpret behavior as either symbolic or mechanistic."

Come, Jim, there is abundant evidence. This is the first time in the history
of the cosmos that the above sentence, your sentence, has ever been uttered.
It is entirely new and unique. And, (unless you quote yourself again and
again and again) it will never be repeated in exactly the same way, ever. It
is that way for all of us when we use language. This fact, it seems to me,
is objective evidence of symbol use (and, much to my delight, it is also
evidence that your thinking preceded its use! :)). No finite mechanism could
produce an infinite variety of forms. All deference to Noam on this one.

Steve