percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Re: animals, order, symbol, self-consciousness, and The Fall of Man

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karey L. Perkins" <karey AT charter.net>
  • To: <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Re: animals, order, symbol, self-consciousness, and The Fall of Man
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:46:07 -0500

Marcus,

I don't disagree -- if you remember in Lost in the Cosmos, humans, due to C2
consciousness (the Fall), were rejected by the aliens who refused to let
them land on their planet lest havoc result.

The idea of Fall "up" is a theological approach that means the Fall was a
"growth" or development of man -- but once expelled from the Garden, the
journey has to continue, 40 years in the desert, and of course far more, and
eventually to the Tree of Life (Christ) (or - the Word as in John of the
bible).  The Fall doesn't mean we've arrived, it means the journey has
begun.

Karey