percy-l - RE: [percy-l] Play As A Precursor To Language?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Parlin, Steven" <PARLINS AT culver.org>
  • To: "'percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [percy-l] Play As A Precursor To Language?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:13:18 -0500

And Steve  -- now having read you full message--  what on earth gave you the notion we think without symbols, abstract representations or words (they are all functionally equivalent are they not?).  Or do you mean to suggest that neither animals nor humans think in any but a mechanistic way?  Seems to me that when we think with pictures we are still thinking symbolically.  After all we do not try to eat the image of what we are imagining  -- we eat the actual object itself after our thinking (model, planning and testing with symbols) has helped us to actually achieve the food object itself.

Dear Jim,

I must not have made my point clear enough. I certainly wasn’t suggesting mechanical thinking. Eeegads. Nor was I suggesting that we don’t use symbols for thinking. I was, however, proposing that our thinking, we humans, is not limited to what we can represent, e.g. words, pictures, symbols, etc. Knowing and consciousness are not contingent upon whether our thoughts can be represented. We frequently find ourselves in situations that defy language or representation. But, its our relational need that compels us to find and create symbolic form for our thoughts. We want to share our thoughts.

In fact, new paintings, new dances, news sculptures, new music, new words would not be possible at all if thought did not precede the representation of it. Poetry in particular is the finest example. In poetry we use words to get at something we know, but had no way of communicating until we caged it with a phrase. It happens all the time. And, it happens to us when we see a new phrase that someone else effectively coined. The phrase didn’t tell us something new; instead we recognize in it what we knew but had not yet named ourselves. You can’t name something unless it exists. Thought exists before we name it.

It’s a little like the Trinity (a consistency I like very much since we were created in “his image”). God’s existence is not contingent upon the incarnation; the word was with God BEFORE he became incarnate. After the incarnation he was not only God, but a “representative” of God, the word made flesh, the Son. I think our language works like this. Our knowledge of a thing precedes our naming it; it is formless and therefore uncommunicabe and unrelational. However, it’s in the naming that we give form to the formlessness of it, as God did when he spoke and creation was. Then, in a more particular way, God becomes flesh. But, God does not depend on the flesh. Becoming flesh, becoming sacrament, was a relational need, not an existential need. In the same way, in our own Genesis, we create symbols not because our consciousness is dependent upon it, but because we have a relational need (perhaps even a relational need with our own self).

Maybe I’ve really mucked it up, but I just can’t seem to find the words for something I know I want to say.

Cheers,

Steve