percy-l - Re: Pop music Moby's top 5 novels.... (from the LA Times...)

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: David Alan Beck <dabeck AT iupui.edu>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pop music Moby's top 5 novels.... (from the LA Times...)
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 18:18:21 -0500 (EST)

Every now and then I turn to an MTV station (that I somehow get, even
though I don't have cable). Sometimes I do it just to confirm the
direction we are heading (another chapter in the Decline of Western
Civilization). Other times, I do it just to be up on what my students are
talking about (to prove that I know artists more current than Dylan,
CSN&Y, etc.). I saw a video of his, where he was walking around in a space
suit, looking around at normal life as if he were a stranger to the place.
Unfortunately, I couldn't hear what he was singing, because I was on the
phone. Anyway, I'm curious about the other four favorite novels. Were they
listed?
David

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Joseph D. Lierl wrote:

> In a recent article in the LA Times, there was an article on Pop music's
> Moby. As an aside to the article, they published a list of Moby's top 5
> movies, albums, and novels.
>
> He listed "The Moviegoer" in his top 5 novels, with this quote "This
> deals withthe crippling, banal aspects of contemporary life and how we
> are all on the cusp of grace and epiphany, but are always running away
> from it"
>
> Just thought it was interesting and that I would pass it along for
> consideration...

> GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
>
> --
> An archive of all list discussion is available at
> <http://www.ibiblio.org/wpercy/hypermail>.
> Visit the Walker Percy Project at <http://www.ibiblio.org/wpercy>.

David Beck

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright
future for man if he spent less time proving that
he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness
and respecting her seniority."
- E. B. White