percy-l - Re: transcendence and immanence

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karey Perkins" <karey AT charter.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: transcendence and immanence
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 08:48:48 -0500

The transcendent God is the intangible, abstract God -- the God that is
without us; the immanent God is within us, manifested in the physical world.

I think one of Percy's points is that separately they're not good, they must
be integrated. Like in Love in the Ruins, when his lapsometer reads
angelism-bestialism. I think there's a parallel there. He has that theme
throughout all his works; as early as the Moviegoer he compares "the
romantic" stranger he meets on the bus with the salesman he meets on the
same bus -- I think he's dealing with this issue/theme throughout his works.

My question is: how does his concept of the "romantic" relate to his
concept "angelism" relate to his concept of "transcendence"? Are they
equivalent and interchangeable terms or do they shift in meaning?

Another question I've been wanting to ask: What is a "moviegoer"? Is that
the same thing as a "romantic"?

Also, btw, I found the term "Schaddenfreud" twice in "The Last Gentleman,"
though the concept is throughout his works. I'm reading Lancelot now, and
the hurricane is coming!

Karey

======================
Karey Perkins
Faculty Forum Manager
Professor of General Education
DeVry University
2555 Northwinds Parkway
Alpharetta, Georgia 30004
kperkins AT faculty.atl.devry.edu <mailto:kperkins AT faculty.atl.devry.edu>
770-521-4900 Ext. 3527
karey AT charter.net <mailto:karey AT charter.net>
770-649-1460
http://www.atl.devry.edu/kperkins <http://www.atl.devry.edu/kperkins>