percy-l - Re: Teaching Percy . . . to law students

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: M Barry Roderick <marlorod AT nb.sympatico.ca>
  • To: Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion <percy-l AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Teaching Percy . . . to law students
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:31:18 -0300

A distinguished Harvard Law professor Mary Ann Glendon has made particular reference to Walker Percy in "A Nation Under Lawyers" - 'How the Disarray in the American Legal Profession is affecting American Society' see"
http://chapters.indigo.ca/search/default.asp?Search_Method=AdvancedSearch&Search_Catalog=books&Search_Phrase_SearchPeople=Mary+A%2E+Glendon&Search_Modifier_SearchPeople=ALLTERM&Search_Sort=RANK%2D&lang=en&mscssid=HU7LW02AELD89KEVWD8A4KTVH2WR2SDB&WSID=0910B03D61ABEE594E27A4493669999519FD1717
for a link.
    Thisbook has been widely acknowledged as a guide as to how the profession is andhow it may become. Personally. after 30 years in law,   I believe the arguments and  the extensively footnoted references in this text are a must for any aspiring person entering law and for those now within the profession. This is why i am on this list serve.

M.Barry Roderick
LLB Univ of Western Ontario 1968;
 Of the bars of New Brunswick and Ontario; Canada

BHolo AT aol.com wrote:

As a law student, hearing this makes me want to transfer to SUNY for the remainder of my third year.  Percy in law school?  Creative curriculum at its very best!

Law school is so relentlessly uncreative and pedantic at times and courses that expand the bounds of traditional law curriculum are precious few.  Where I attend school, the course "Law and Literature" fills up with the first 15 students who can access the registration line (and it's not because the class is a "slide"--it's taught by a very intelligent constitutional/ethics scholar who requires each student to write several lengthy papers and direct a meeting of the seminar).  It's impressive that an administration would allow such a foray as yours, however tenuously linked it is to the study of law.

Lancelot is a must, especially in a law school setting (most relevant novel topically).

I hope your students enjoy this breath of fresh air.

BH ---
You are currently subscribed to percy-l as: marlorod AT NB.SYMPATICO.CA
An archive of all discussion is available at <http://www.ibiblio.org/wpercy/hypermail>. Visit the Walker Percy Project at <http://www.ibiblio.org/wpercy>