pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] PIW Wiki Posts

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: webmaster@pfaf.org
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] PIW Wiki Posts
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:18:30 +0000

John Schinnerer wrote:
Aloha,

I would guess we've been 'found' and spamming will only increase over time.

I though we had user auth in place and mostly just weren't using it...?

I reckon it's time to make it required, anyhow.

And at this point we need to manually approve new users and block all others, I would assume, since otherwise the spammers will just auto-gen users faster than we can delete them.

hi ho,
John S.

Rather than going the whole way with user registration a better solution would be to set up a block list. Looking through the current spate of
spamming they all come from the same IP address 195.225.176.35, so we can just block that rather than everyone.

Info on how to set up a blocklist is at
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Blocklist2

How to set it up:

1. copy blocklist2.php into the cookbook/ directory
2. add the following line to your "local/config.php" file, preferably near the top.

if ($action=='edit') include_once('cookbook/blocklist2.php');

(Note that people using the Cookbook/CommentBox cookbook module should use

if ($action == 'edit' || $action == 'comment') {
include_once("cookbook/blocklist2.php"); }

instead).

3. create a page called Main.Blocklist (Site.Blocklist for PmWiki ver2.beta44 or newer?) on your site, and seed it with some of the words, phrases or IP addresses from the posts that have been plaguing you.
4. if you like it, take a look at the file attachment sampleblocklist.txtΔ and decide how much of that you would like to add to your blocklist. It is a list of obscure drug names, known words and phrases in-use by vandals, IP addresses of repeat offenders, etc.
5. decide whether you would like any of the Options listed below to be added to your configuration. In particular, you should check the Blocklist Security items.