pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] PIW, Eden and PFAF

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Marco Stahl" <marco.stahl@gmx.net>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] PIW, Eden and PFAF
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:33:23 +0200 (MEST)

> Von: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
> How do we make it obvious to users that Eden IS an improvement on the
> PFAF-engine? Once again, how is this database different from all
> others...

My suggestions:

* More documentation about the Keyword-Search with examples
* More information on the mainsite about the vision (specification)
(or a link to the WIKI,dev.permaculture.com)

-> A more PFAF-style OPTIONS-based-search

especially for someone like me with poor englishknowlege a keywordsearch
isn't the "yellow of the egg" (maybe thats nonsense in english:-))
Its always easy to read a foreign text,like a founded plant description, but
guessing the right searchwords can be frustrating.

To manage the huge heap of Plants I would like to have OPTION-based Filters.

Example: After just looking for a "bean" , I would like to add a
(Optionbased, maybe with a map) Filter for plants growing well in Germany in
light shadow, after that i would like to add a filter for climbing plants
(maybe with little icons, demonstrating the "Form" of the plant). After that
I would like to search for others plants with this 2 filters, ...
As registered user I would like to save und reuse such filters.

I'm pretty shure that there are other users that prefer a
"Klickable"-Interface, especial non-native-englishspeaking
Non-permaculture-experts.

Saludos, Marco