pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] "plant database" search on Google

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] "plant database" search on Google
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 00:04:30 -0400

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

howdy everybody,

This email from Lawrence is a great segway into what I've been working on today. I've been writing up the user scenario descriptions (yes, the ones I've been telling you about for months), and thinking about how PIW is going to distinguish itself from all these other plant databases. Although I've finished with the initial write-up, I'm sending it to Bear for edits before I send it to the group (just to make sure it makes sense). In the meantime, please consider how PIW will differ from other databases...

Here's a fairly typical user scenario:

Anyone with 1/8 - 10000 acres of property wishing to establist a long term land use plan within the context of

1) residential use with landscape and/or food/herb/fruit/fiber/grain cropping
2) farm with extensive permaculture systems
3) homesteader with sophisticated permaculture systems integrated with food/herb/fruit/fiber/grain cropping
4) market farm/market gardens/residence/homestead with sophisticated permaculture systems integrated with food/herb/fruit/fiber/grain cropping

Farmers with operations of all sizes desperately need to take seriously the challenge to develop sophisticated permaculture systems that are fully integrated with all
their diversified production operations and will offer economic security and eco-sustainability for the farm and eco-permanence of the land. I like the term
Eco Land Tech (I did not invent this) - apply all available technology to help ensure ecological robustness and sustainability on land lived on, worked or maintained.

Also, Richard mentioned that he was "A bit concerned that we haven't really sorted out meta-schema questions." Are these questions related to the functional spec, and what do we need to do to answer them?

I think those are issues that affect software coding.