pcplantdb - Issue tracker Re: [pcplantdb] break...with some synthesis on the side

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Issue tracker Re: [pcplantdb] break...with some synthesis on the side
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 14:34:29 +0100

John Schinnerer wrote:
Steph:
How's the issue tracker going, and when do you plan to invite piw list members to use it?

Well, it got some initial use and I got a tiny bit of feedback...could use more, unless y'all think it's just fine as-is, in which case I'll only improve it when I find something to improve myself...

I personally don't want a bunch of people other than our little core group using the tracker until:

1) I have some basic how-to/help docs in place
2) We have some more solid/clear specs to implement and thus test against
3) The tracker has been tested more intensively by our core group, and refined if/as necessary based on that
4) Ideally, after the tracker has been moved to ibiblio

Yep, agreed.

Re 1), I will again be housesitting starting late this month and will be able to crank out some of that stuff much more easily.

Re 2), until we know more precisely what we are building and how it is supposed to work, opening testing up to others is most likely to result in a lot of static and clutter in the tracker.

Re 3), I'd rather our small group thrashed it a bit through a few minor builds to see what needs improvement/change/etc.

Re 4), JohnH has on his to-do list to see if Roundup can be moved to ibiblio.

A couple of things I don't understand.

Whats the difference between closed, resolved and compleated?

Is there a way to mark a resolved issue as being part of the
on going regression test. There seem to be some things in the tracker
which we don't need to revisited, and other which do need checking
with each new release.

It seems like the issue tracker is being used for some seperate things:
1) regression testing system
2) bug reporting
3) project managment, i.e. scheduling tasks to be done
4) feature requesting
I'm wondering if its posible to split these up. May be this is what
the Task tag is for.

I guess the process might be
a) A "feature request" is added.
b) we discuss whether or not we want to implement it and
what priority it has.
c) The "feature request" is promoted to a "task". I.e something to be
done.
c1) Specification updated.
d1) Task is compleated.
d2) Tests developed to check that the feature works as intended.
e) regression happens.

Order of d1/d2 could be different. As a design methodology, there is a
lot of people into test first systems. I.e. write the test first then write the code and check if it passes the test. (Never done this).

I guess a home page for the tracker is needed. IE a page where
new users first come to the tracker and public users can either
add a "feature request" or a "bug", but not a "task" or a "regression test".

I think I'd recomend changing the "suggestion" task to "feature request", its a name which has more resonance for me.
Don't really know what "Know issue" is about.

Thoughts?

Spending most of my time building...have the whole floor and deck
down now - time for walls and windows!

Cool, didn't know you were building a house.