pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Component areas in issue tracker

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Component areas in issue tracker
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:35:03 +0000

Aloha,

Let me give an example re this:

Former ('functional') is for the actual project code itself.

Latter ('hosting') is for supporting systems and software - that is, the
hosting system(s) that the actual project code runs on.

Both are "functional," and, it can be very helpful to separate functional
problems with "our" stuff from functional problems with "their" (e.g.
hosting provider) stuff.

CAN WE MAKE THIS CLEAR TO USERS PLEASE? BECAUSE THIS DISTINCTION WASN'T CLEAR TO ME (AND ACTUALLY, I'M NOT SURE IT'S CLEAR YET).

Say I type something in the PIW search box and click the button and find myself being taken to the Vision page.
That would be a functional bug in our code - the function of the search box is to return some search results, not take me to the Vision page.

Now say I type something in the PIW search box and click the button and I get a server error 504 (Gateway timeout) page back. Usually that would mean some problem with the server or related systems, so it would be a hosting bug.
It is also a functional problem - but with the hosting system itself rather than our code running on that hosting system.

Some users won't know the diff between a functional bug in our code and a hosting issue, and that's fine - main thing is, when the diff *is* noticed, we can flag it as such, which will help get the right issue to the right person for resolution.