pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Lindbergh Feedback

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Lindbergh Feedback
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:08:01 -0800 (PST)

--- Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
wrote:

> -Literature: they have a literature category, and
> ours was apparently weak.
> What informational resources (books, websites, or
> otherwsie) could serve as a
> Bibliography for our project? Ideas welcome!

I see this as an opportunity for fund raising. Why
not either affiliate program a list of books from the
hated Amazon, or even affiliate with a site like the
permaculture activist to help them sell their books?
The book sales add to the funding, act as a
bibliography, and help grant organizations to
understand what the site is about. I believe this
meets the stacking design principle for the project.

> -Basic Need: they didn't see PIW as satisfying any
> basic needs - most of the
> world's population lives in dense urban areas and
> have little time to
> experiment with intense urban agriculture. How do
> we respond to this?

Yes, but CSAs need the information and are attempting
to bring higher quality food to urban areas. Also,
green roofs, an urban thing, will benefit from the
tool, by helping to identify a more diverse set of
plants to help mitigate run-off from rain storms
(poluting the oceans), reducing energy costs (reducing
roof temperature ranges), and possibly either
supplying food or some other useful plant for
generating income in the city. Living machine design
might also benefit, which applies more to an urban
setting. Super site mitigation for abandoned lots
left unusable by toxins. Finally, energy production
using hydrogen producing microbes.

www.oceanarks.org
www.earthpledge.org
www.justfood.org
www.csacenter.org
www.fishnavy.org

> -Mechanism for Peer Reviewal: would this simply be
> user feedback? Or do we
> want to involve designers of other
> Biology/Ecology-related databases, or
> Biology/Ecology experts?

What about including the concept of credentials?
Perhaps some things will require a specific credential
to rate the comment. Perhaps a credentialed rating vs
a community rating?

-Sean.