pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Internal/informal plan comments

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Internal/informal plan comments
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:53:43 +0000

Aloha,

Comments on the "plan" document (our internal stuff) - dunno who wrote what, I'm just pasting in bits that I have some comment on:

-------------
So what *are* we attempting to deliver in Phase One? My own vision of the software is this:

An application that assists in identifying new Guilds and exploring
existing Guilds. ...
--------------

I think a plant info database with initial steps towards permaculture-centric abilities is realistic for phase one.
I think an app that identifies/explores guilds is unrealistic, unless that (guilds, to the exclusion of all other more general DB functions) is our one and only focus starting now and until the deadline.

-----------------
As for the database, whether intially RDBMS or ODB, I would like to see
more in depth discussion about the schema design and serious effort made towards normalization. I did some initial research to other university
efforts and it is indeed a complex piece of work.

Yes indeed, and this still needs doing.

Additionally, is the project *just* the database, or is it the front-end
to the database, or a combination of both?

To develop/test the DB, we have to have some kind of basic/initial front end, so both are involved.

I think if we have a pc-centric plant db with self-registration for users, user security/authorization mechanism, reasonably good searching abilities, reasonably good data display options and basic add/edit data functionality by the year deadline we will have done pretty darn good.

Comments on the other doc coming up shortly...

  • Re: [pcplantdb] Internal/informal plan comments, John Schinnerer, 02/01/2005