pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Re: GIS

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear K <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Re: GIS
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:20:48 -0800

I'd also like to say it seemed like a very good event. Met and talked with quite a few interesting people. One person (Mark) works with a guy (@ onevillage.biz) who has done ecological GIS work in Kenya, etc and knows those systems very well. So good overlap with what Lawrence has been wanting.

A GIS expert helping us would be a very valuable resource, usually hard to find
for small projects and expensive (because of the high demand for GIS services,
prices are very high). I wonder if there is a family of opensource GIS software
products being developed?
I've looked into it to some degree, and it seems there is...
I can't pull all the links together right now...
This might get you started:
http://opensourcegis.org/

Or the Virtual Terrian Project:
http://www.vterrain.org/

Also, newer versions of mySQL feature spatial data operations....

Cheers,
Bear