pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Re: public announcement

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <john@eco-living.net>
  • Cc: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Re: public announcement
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:39:49 -0800

Thanks, John.

Anyone else?

peace
*s

nal Message ------
From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
To: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
Subject: Re: public announcement

Aloha,

> Any ideas for an example scenario (please)?

I didn't come up with anything the first time you asked...I'm coming up
with only tropcial stuff, I think a temperate example would be more
familiar to most of the list members.

I think the generalization explains it well.

I think we should offer several diverse examples rather than just one if
we're going to offer specific examples, so more people are more likely
to "get it" from at least one of the examples.

Here's one specific to Hawai'i FWIW...

Look up "'ohia" and learn...

That it is the endemic rainforest canopy species of Hawai'i - and
Hawai'i has the only rainforest with a single endemic canopy species,
namely the 'ohia.
Find out also that the 'uluhe fern has a particular relationship with
the 'ohia - the 'uluhe climbs up the lower part of the 'ohia, dying back
at the top as it grows up from below. The dead 'uluhe matter falls down
to feed the soil at the base of the 'ohia.
Silly humans sometimes think the 'uluhe is "choking" the 'ohia when in
fact they are 'cooperating'...

Kinda simple and exotic at the same time.
Wouldn't be my first choice for an announcement example.
If you have "Gaia's Garden" I think Toby has some good examples in there.

  • [pcplantdb] Re: public announcement, Stephanie Gerson, 01/18/2005