pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] [synthesis][31][12.19.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][31][12.19.04]
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:57:34 -0600

Stephanie Gerson writes,
> Super speedy synthesis:
>
> 1. I like the educational-screensaver-as-a-fundraiser idea.
>
> 2. I hereby declare Bear and Stephanie the heirs of PIW\xE2\x80\x99s UI.
> All in
> favor say aye.

Eye!

> 3. Heirs will also examine Groxis and similar endeavors (although I _do_
> wish someone were willing to help by doing a comprehensive search for
> similar concept-mapping tools/interfaces \xE2\x80\x93 Lawrence?)

Sure. I also recommend looking at things like Macromedia Flash and
it's free counterpart SVG.

> 4. PIW and the various Google engines \xE2\x80\x93 what are the
> various engines and how do they differ? How would using them help
> with funding, Lawrence?
>
> 5. RDF. Rambunctious Draconian Fairies? Radically Derelict
> Fondue? Don\xE2\x80\x99t quite understand, but sounds intriguing.
> Chad, if you feel comfortable sticking with what you know for now
> and exploring this in the future, that\xE2\x80\x99s fine.
> I\xE2\x80\x99d be glad to include it in future proposals (why,
> would we have to pay for it?).

I can think of oodles of features and functionality to add and I bet
everyone else on the list has a favorite toy they wanna see. At the
moment I think we have plenty of work to do just to get this part
finished. My personal pet project is making it an XML-RPC/SOAP server
to allow for virtually any kind of client in any language on any
platform to be written for it while being a lot more flexible than
broswer based interfaces. I've been playing with pygtk and embedded
Mozilla and in about 8 lines created a simple web browser. I can see
a python GTK client that can render html (with Gekko) as having a lot
of possibilities.

> 6. No Chad, I didn\xE2\x80\x99t forget about your X-mas present.
> If you really want XML in a nutshell, I\xE2\x80\x99ll tell Santa.

Heh...

> Finally, just wanted to let you know (again?) that I\xE2\x80\x99m
> taking off on Thursday and will be without internet access until
> January 8th. In case this is the last synthesis of 2004, have a
> wonderful new year\xE2\x80\xA6

Maybe I'll have a suprise for ya...