pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] permaculture.info @ Ibiblio

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: fred@ibiblio.org
  • Cc: help@ibiblio.org, pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] permaculture.info @ Ibiblio
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:53:27 -0600

Hello Fred and Ibiblio staff,

After a month or so of active development in Zope our project has
decided to switch platforms to the more traditional tools of a RDMBS
accessed via cgi. Although we did not experience the stability and
scalability issues you encountered, Zope is IMO too complex to do the
sort of low level development needed to adapt it to our project.
Working around the features that make it easy for higher levels of
development resulted in a fair bit of frustration.

Anyway, the pcplantdb/permaculture.info team would like to once again
ask for hosting on Ibiblio. Are requirements are quite modest at the
moment and consist of a 35 Meg. MySQL (PostgreSQL would also work)
database and a tiny python cgi script. Although no performance tuning
has been done our current implementation is reasonably fast because it
doesn't do all that much. We would like to use mod_python eventually
but do not currently.

If you are interested, you can find some of our early work at
<http://galatea.org/piw/>. Don't be surprised if it fails or seems
slow, the actual cgi is being served off of an older laptop via a DSL
connection with several factors that weigh against speed and
reliability ;-)

Thanks for your time,
Chad Knepp for the pcplantdb/permaculture.info team.

Perl - $Just @when->$you ${thought} s/yn/tax/ &couldn\'t %get $worse;

LocalWords: Knepp pcplantdb couldn

  • [pcplantdb] permaculture.info @ Ibiblio, Chad Knepp, 11/05/2004