pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] update

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Howe" <warlock@arashi.com>
  • To: "PCPLANTDB" <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] update
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 20:06:40 -0800 (PST)

Hey All,

Been travelling quite a bit this Fall, Florida and now in Minnesota.

> Anyway, I'd like to open a discussion about moving in this direction.
> I'd primarily like to hear from John H. and John S. as I suspect that
> this may be pretty disappointing to them.

Right tool for the right job. I do think an OO interface makes sense,
though implementation is more time consuming. The move of the project to
ibiblio was always the goal.

> My thoughts in a bulleted list:
> o Why RDBMS?

I would bring up the earlier discussions I have commented on regarding
normalizing the database as we move forward.

> o Why not ORM (Object Relational Mapper)?

Something to keep in mind for the future still. OO has been around since
1968, though industry adoption seems slow...