pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[25][10.31.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[25][10.31.04]
  • Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:17:55 +0000

Stephanie Gerson wrote:
This is a somber synthesis indeed.

Are we experiencing somewhat of a mini-breakdown?
Chad is (or was) somewhat frustrated, wanting to change platforms, and is now mia. Eden is down, PFAF is experiencing difficulties, and Rich wants to resign?!

Oy ve.

Rich, do you feel that you no longer have time to dedicate to this? I sincerely hope that you change your mind, or at least, are willing to discuss alternatives...

Just to clarify. In that their might currently be conflict of interest
politically at this end, I have a rather delicate balancing act. Things depend a lot on my relationship with Ken. Being on the "managment committie" (what ever that is) might lead to dificulties, although to is too early to say.

As the PFAF charity is winding up the fate of the PFAF website is in question. I'd like to see it (or the database part) move to pcpdb as I beleive that the dataset will have a better long term future and be allowed to grow and develope, rather than just being a non evolving db unmaintained on a pfaf site.

What would really help to see pcpdb would be to get a really good vision statement so I can show it to Ken. What would also be very good is if we can a working system up and running, which I feel will best illustrate the potential of the database.

I do not want to resign! I'm very happy to work on the technical side
and probably other stuff once storm blows over.

So here's where we're at a definite transitional point. Rich might be stepping down, and we might be completely changing platform/host. Other than that, I'm still coordinating funding efforts, I'm not quite sure what Johns is up to, Lawrence is still moderating, and I assume Scott is busy with other initiatives.
Per Chad's request, can everyone please send a brief check-in of where you're at, and how you feel about this project and where it's headed?

My brief check-in: I'm still very enthusiastic about the potential of PIW. I have spent countless (literally, I have no clue how many) hours researching foundations, writing grant proposals, envisioning...and I would really like to see this bear fruit. And I *know* it can. I think we simply have to stabilize a bit - get our platform/host issues settled, and get to work. I know we had some interpersonal problems in the past, but they seem to have pretty much cleared up. But - if anyone has interpersonal issues to raise, please do so. I'd like to remind us all that this is supposed to be eNjOyAbLe and eXcItInG, so let's make the most of it together!#

Looking for hidden mesage in eNjOyAbLe and eXcItInG
NOALXIIG!

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org