pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] common names

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <john@eco-living.net>, <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] common names
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:00:29 -0700

and would help when people are traveling, woofing, etc...

peace
*s

"John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net> wrote:

Aloha,

> Common names are vital information and should be included in db search
> routines.
> They have everything to do with local and indigenous knowledgebases.
> People growing up
> around plants in their yards and neighborhoods learn common names first
> and they are retained in memory
> for a lifetime.

Yep - and totally different plants in different locales/bioregions may
(do) have the same common name. So it is useful, and, potentially
confusing.

Common name 'ironwood' is an example I am familiar with re the above.

Common name combined with images and detailed descriptions and so on will
be required to help users determine which of many plants with same common
name they are actually getting info on.