pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Eden

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Eden
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:22:14 -0500

Richard Morris writes:
> <snip>
> Is kfml a home brew thing? I can't find any references on the web.

Homebrew; making a new dtd is as easy as starting your own religion.
The hard part is getting others to use it... ;-)

> A couple of sugestions,
> 1) some help as to what you can search for. How do I find
> "plants with edible tubers growing on acid soil"
> Hum, 7360 search results! Search box could be bigger.

Formating has not been a big concern so far, esp. because the same xml
is parsed to text and html. Those kind of refinements will come
later. You should try the CLI if you want clunky. Neither 'tubers'
nor 'edible' is in to vocabulary (yet) but I did a search for the
above string and got the following (but only 7355 matches). What's
the problem?

Family Genus Species Common Name Search Score
Alliaceae Allium cepa Onion 8
Alliaceae Allium cepa aggregatum Potato onion 8
Alliaceae Allium cepa ascalonicum Shallot 8
Alliaceae Allium sativum ophioscorodon Serpent garlic 8
Rosaceae Amelanchier alnifolia Saskatoon 8
Cupressaceae Chamaecyparis lawsoniana Lawson cypress 8
Rutaceae Citrofortunella microcarpa Calamondin orange 8
Rutaceae Citroncirus webberi Citrange 8
Rosaceae Cotoneaster conspicuus Tibetan cotoneaster 8
Rosaceae Cotoneaster x watereri 8

> 2) context of search results, if its not just a latin name
> or common name. I like to give a bit of the phrase
> around the matched word.

Later. Or hack it yourself and send me a patch.

> <snip>

Source is imminent.

perl -e 'print pack"H*","7079674067616c617465612e6f72670a"'