pchealth - [pchealth] GI tract health, maximum nutrition and avoiding food allergies

pchealth@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculturist Health

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: Permaculturist Health <pchealth@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pchealth] GI tract health, maximum nutrition and avoiding food allergies
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 10:37:27 -0700

 If you are allergic to wheat or cow dairy products, completely eliminate them from their diet. Often goat and sheep cheese can be consumed and there are many excellent gluten free baked goods in the marketplace these days; spelt is one of them. For improved digestion, regularity and GI tract health these foods have always worked for me. For a time I bought refrigerated probiotic supplements from a local health food/natural nutrition store and Whole Foods. I used New Chapter products, specifically All Flora but NC has a few other to consider too including prebiotics. There are foods that feed probiotic microorganisms called prebiotics. These are worth looking into. Chickpeas and maybe lentils and potatoes are some of them. Google prebiotics; they seem to be really important when trying to maintain healthy microflora. Probiotics and prebiotics are trending in a big way and for good reason. I was in Whole Foods the other day and they had an entire refrigerated display case filled with nothing but probiotic supplements. Fermented foods and drinks that I rate highly include: kim chee eaten every day, sauerkraut, miso, umeboshi plum with shiso, natto, kombucha tea, soy yoghurt, dairy yoghurt if not lactose intolerant and many other foods to numerous to list. Books on the subject are plentiful but some stand out, Sandor Katz, Bill Mollison. Chelsea Green publisher carries a giant array of book on this subject and much more, visit their website. Start a sprout farm in your house. Works by Kulvinskas and Wigmore are a wonderful way to learn about this and there are many more recently written. I have to say kim chee works really well for me, eaten as often as possible and a small cup of it is usually enough. Walmart has excellent kim chee. Often I eat it as a topping on rice and tofu or tempeh. I went through food allergy hell from birth to age 45 not realizing what was causing such gastric distress and prolonged colds in winter. A friend showed me a book "One Man's Meat Is Another Man's Poison" which connected blood type to food types safely consumed and which ones to avoid. I went home and chucked out most of what was in my refrigerator, discovered fermented foods and probiotics shortly afterward, regained my health and never looked back. I recommend against consumption of any alcohol and tobacco use. Raw foods along with fermented foods are the ultimate dirt as far as I am concerned and make sure you get adequate protein in whatever form you like too. There are methods of combining different types of vegetarian foods for maximum protein content and there are food combining rules for maximum health through maximum nutrition that guide you through best combinations of foods eaten at any meal. There are foods that clash and cause improper digestion and ones that complement each other and provide good nutrition and health.

  • [pchealth] GI tract health, maximum nutrition and avoiding food allergies, Lawrence London, 04/14/2021