pcdb - [pcdb] Wildflowers of Detroit

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: Matthew Shultz <deepwinter@winterroot.net>
  • To: Permaculture Database <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcdb] Wildflowers of Detroit
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 23:19:14 -0700

Greetings,

Obviously this list isn't terribly happening these days, but there were some
good discussions and it's still on my list as one way to contact some folks
of shared interests. I'd like to let you all know about another project that
we are currently kickstarting called 'Wildflowers of Detroit.' The general
gist is to create an open source suite of mobile software for indexing
wildflowers (or any type of geographical data) on an interactive map and
searchable database. For this project, we are mainly applying it to Detroit,
a place we lived for many many years and in fact a location where taking a
different look at what's going on in the city could have a profound affect.
Most people see the decaying building, but actually in the wake of industrial
collapse an incredible amount of wild plants, and indeed wildlife, have taken
up residence. You can read more about the project here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/winterroot/wildflowers-of-detroit?ref=recommended.
In terms of permaculture, the whole reason for planning this as an open
source project is to make it easy to repurpose - so any project requiring
geotagging and data logging using mobile devices (smartphone, cellphone)
could benefit from this project. Of course we'd love to fine more backers
for the project, so if you can recommend other resources (lists or forums)
where I should be posting this link, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Very Best,
Matthew Shultz
http://www.winterroot.net

  • [pcdb] Wildflowers of Detroit, Matthew Shultz, 09/14/2011