pcdb - [pcdb] Wild Edibles with Steve Brill has been released (iphone foraging app)

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: Matthew Shultz <deepwinter@winterroot.net>
  • To: Permaculture Database <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcdb] Wild Edibles with Steve Brill has been released (iphone foraging app)
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:40:45 -0700

Hey guys,

Our Wild Edibles foraging app for iphone, created in collaboration with Steve
Brill of New York, has been released! You can check out the free version at
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wild-edibles-lite/id431504179?mt=8 or spring
for the full (160 species) version here:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wild-edibles-full/id431504588?mt=8 We've
also got a flashcards series for helping beginners to learn to identify
edible plants http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/winterroot-llc/id427385326
I've love to hear feedback from this list, as there is clearly some
alignment of interests.

On the technical side, members of this list might be interested in how we
implemented certain parts of the process. We have an open source project
that allows rapid 'evolution' of a database structure, so that in working
with Steve we could easily create and modify the parameters of the database
objects as he/we worked through the process of collecting, consolidating,
editing, transforming and deploying the data. Our system has an xml export
feature, after which we applied xslt transforms to massage the information
into xml files and sqlite3 database files to load into the iphone. Our Ipad
version of the app, coming along soon, will use this same process of
automatically link all the plant names and glossary words throughout the app,
for a more 'multimedia encyclopedia' like feel. I'm open to discussing
more about handheld platforms if there is interest.

This is a major triumph for foraging and permaculture.. We are getting a
great response, so I wanted to share our efforts with this list, which while
rather silent these days represents an idea that I'm still very much
committed to. What's new in your worlds?

Very Best,
Matt
- WinterRoot LLC

  • [pcdb] Wild Edibles with Steve Brill has been released (iphone foraging app), Matthew Shultz, 04/19/2011