pcdb - Re: [pcdb] I'm interested in some contribution to

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: Paul d'Aoust <paul@heliosville.com>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] I'm interested in some contribution to
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 16:43:20 -0700

Hi, Paul. You had some very interesting things to say in your last
e-mail, and while I think you're operating on an intellectual level a
few diplomas higher than me, I think I understand what you're saying --
do you mean that it's exceptionally difficult to model relationships as
complex as you see in nature, so you shouldn't really try to go down
that road? As we've talked about more and more complex relationship
modelling, I've started to feel that way myself -- there's just too much
to model if you want to be really deep and comprehensive.

I think permaculture is already a filter or abstraction or
simplification that lets us digest a bit of the complexity of natural
systems. My feeling is that we should do something similar and only
incorporate as much complexity as we really need. Perhaps something as
simple as a 'PFAF-plus-animals-and-guilds' would be entirely sufficient?
(I'd also like to see something a bit more interactive than PFAF, with
wiki-like contribution -- not only for the write-ups, but also for
observed characteristics of a certain organism. Because I might be able
to get my tarragon (e.g.) to survive in colder temperatures than some
other guy, because my soil has better drainage.)

I was really interested in what you were saying about humans being
really good at extrapolating connections, and that a database should
facilitate our ability rather than trying to make those connections
itself. (At least I think that's what you said!) Do you have any ideas
for what an implementation of such a system would look like?

Gosh, I wish I could just quit my job and create a working prototype of
this thing :)

(the other) Paul