pcdb - Re: [pcdb] Deki Wiki http://wiki.opengarden.org/Deki_Wiki

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] Deki Wiki http://wiki.opengarden.org/Deki_Wiki
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 23:35:57 +1100

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
> Interesting new wiki:
>
> Deki Wiki
> http://wiki.opengarden.org/Deki_Wiki

Thanks Lawrence.

In the past week we've spent a bit of time at work looking at
this system - as we're not hugely committed yet to mediawiki
(only about 40-50 pages so far in our instance).

It certainly makes it easier for noobs - the wysiwyg editor is far
less confusing, particularly for table creation. There doesn't seem
to be the range of plugins you get with things like drupal, joomla,
etc - or even the plethora of 'this is how I did such and such' sites
like you get with mediawiki users ...

But having said that, I like it. Big time.

I've tried building it from scratch, and have failed, despite running
the same distro that the guys seem to be using (as per the vmware
image they provide) -- Debian GNU/Linux.

My one niggling concern with it is the fact that the core is based
on mono -- a technology that is tainted by its association with
Microsoft. I haven't found a definitive answer anywhere on whether
it relies on the free bits of mono, or the frightening (opening you
up to litigation by using non-free software or patented software)
bits.

Jedd.