pcdb - Re: [pcdb] SoilWiki || Soil Ecology & The Soil Foodweb

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] SoilWiki || Soil Ecology & The Soil Foodweb
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:28:14 +0100

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
What do you think, Paul? Does this have potential? An add-on for the
PC DB Wiki? For groups of contributors?
ibiblio is hosting GetWiki, a variant on MediaWiki, probably better
for single site use. Version 2 is due and will be
something to see. I hope to get this installed also. Am trying out a
bunch of wiki software.
=
Check it out:

SoilWiki
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage

even provides you with an RSS feed for leisurely viewing of content

file uploads

And even email notification of changes to the wiki (sends email to all with
edit and admin privileges) - this is way cool.

All these features are available with MediaWiki as well.

RSS feed for recient changes:
http://www.permaculture.info/index.php?title=Special:Recentchanges&feed=rss

XML format of a specific page
http://www.permaculture.info/index.php/Special:Export/Main_Page
soon I'll inmplement the properties extension which allows the text to
be semantically marked up, and exportable.

When logged in Special:Preferences
http://www.permaculture.info/index.php/Special:Preferences
gives you the option of having email notification.

According the the wikipedia page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GetWiki
was a fork of a very eary version of MediaWiki the most notable new
feature seems to be dynamically fetching pages from other wiki's.

It was used to power the Wikinfo http://www.wikinfo.org/ fork of
wikipedia, but it seems like they have changed back to MediaWiki.

An overview of the differences can be found at
http://getwiki.net/-GetWiki:Overview
orverall I can't see a compelling reason to switch, and MediaWiki has
the benfits of having a larger developer community rather than a one man
job.

Rich
--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants