pcdb - Re: [pcdb] PCDB/Wiki/Guild Database

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] PCDB/Wiki/Guild Database
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 13:38:25 +1000

On Sat, 12 May 2007, Paul d'Aoust wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-05 at 22:46 +1000, jedd wrote:
> > I've got some thoughts on db design and interface requirements that
> > I've been jotting down over the past few months ...
>
> cool; I'm looking forward to seeing it. I still firmly believe that a
> custom-designed database would have merits over a wiki, but to be
> honest, ever since joining this list, my personal vision for this
> project has become more vague and confused.

Paul, et al,

I've finally finished writing up my thoughts. Well, when I say
finished, I mean gotten to a point where it's going to be a trickle,
and an even slower trickle than it has been the past 6 weeks ...

My apologies for being so slack in formulating my ideas.

Have a read at:

http://www.permaculture.info/index.php/PIW:Community_Portal_Jedd

Note that it took me a non-trivial amount of time to get those two
graph thumbnails lining up -- the information on inserting images
into pages is a bit skewed. The thrill of wikis over CMS's.

Having also spent (in my other life) a few weeks looking at CMS's
for a work environment, I'm more convinced than before that
something like Drupal (with its categories system) would work
better for us. It falls down by not being wiki-like in its textual
input, but I gather there's wiki plugins available or on the way.

I'm sure this subject will come up again soon enough, anyway.

Jedd.

  • Re: [pcdb] PCDB/Wiki/Guild Database, jedd, 06/30/2007