pcdb - Re: [pcdb] some ideas for data modelling

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] some ideas for data modelling
  • Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:41:25 -0700

Hierarchy just isn't going to map well (or rather, allow reality to
map well).

This has been repeated by others. I know I am confused and others may be as well. Is there a specific table and relationship structure that you db-designers think of when I say hierarchy? Are there basic alternative models of adding attributes to objects that need to be selected among?!

for example..... [The Chicken]

what are the different data structure choices... not for describing the relationship of the chicken to other objects... but of describing the characteristics of the chicken.... size, longevity, lifeform, breed, etc...

What are the alternatives?