pcdb - Re: [pcdb] Categorizing Setting Using Nested Hierarchical Taxonomies

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: Bear Kaufmann <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] Categorizing Setting Using Nested Hierarchical Taxonomies
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 19:46:23 -0700

On Apr 3, 2007, at 12:48 PM, Paul d'Aoust wrote:

On Mon, 2007-02-04 at 21:28 -0700, Paul Cereghino wrote:
If you start looking at biodiversity patterns it gets a little more tangled.
Another level of mapping identifies 867 world ecoregions... I live in
NAO524 and I dont know a goddamn thing about Carpentaria Tropical
Savannah (AA0704)
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/wildworld/terrestrial.html

I really like this categorisation. It makes a lot of sense to me; I
think that, if we do use site-specific stuff, this would be the map to
use. If it doesn't have licensing issues.

This appears to be the WWF ecosystem map, which is available as an ESRI shapefile (a format used in GIS). This can be processed by MapServer (open source) to produce dynamic maps. If we wanted to go that route, there are a number of other GIS vector and surface layers that would be helpful to present to designers.

From here -> http://www.worldwildlife.org/science/data/g200eco.cfm :
This data is available for use for valid scientific, conservation, and educational purposes as long as proper citations are used. We ask that you credit the Global 200 Ecoregions data as follows:

Olson, D. M. and E. Dinerstein. The Global 200: Priority ecoregions for global conservation. (PDF file) Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 89:125-126

Cheers,
Bear