oscri - Re: [Oscri] Minimal feature set for a useful registry

oscri AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Mario Pena <mpena AT safecreative.org>
  • To: oscri AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Oscri] Minimal feature set for a useful registry
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 09:45:06 +0100

Hi Rich,

I have been giving this a little thought after our conversation last friday. Here are some of my conclusions

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Rich Pearson <rich AT attributor.com> wrote:
Pointing back to one of Nathan's original questions, I am interested in this group's feedback on a fledgling project that was previewed at the technology summit and is now available at http://beta.fairshare.cc

Specifically,

-  What can we add to this service that will make it useful

I really think the service is quite useful the way it is. Maybe some kind of email announcements once some uses have been detected would be nice. Otherwise we have to be checking the feed and sometimes we as users just forget it.

-  How effective can a "first-seen online" policy aid ownership dispute issues.  By this, I mean if our crawler finds the work on your site first, it is assumed to be yours.  This would be augmented by reputation and other softer measures.

This is the problem I pointed. I have published a couple of articles in my web, referencing the original CC source posts, and the FairShare gave me 242 "possible uses" of "my work", which is not my work at all. Somehow, the key would be to create kind of an "original content RSS"  instead of a generic content or somehow to be able to specify which contents should just not be tracked.

Interested in your thoughts,

Rich