opwg - Re: [OP] Forcing Techniques for Organic Pineapple

opwg AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Organic Pineapple Working Group

  • From: Organic Pineapple Working Group <opwg AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • To: Organic Pineapple Working Group <opwg AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OP] Forcing Techniques for Organic Pineapple
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:25:50 -0500

A review of the historical, philosophical, and legal background
relevant to your concern - materials / methods capable of inducing
florescence in pineapple outside it's natural reproductive cycle and
"acceptable" for that purpose by:

1).- The Organic Movement <http://www.ifoam.org/>; and

2).- The relevant Legislation;

may be in order. My focus here will be primarily on the USA, due to
the size of it's market, the influence that country wields over
World Trade and the limits of my own experience and sources of
knowledge:

The market for Organic Food arose in response to the negative
effects that legally approved yet toxic, synthetic agrochemicals
have on the environment and human health (on the one hand) and the
perceived quality enhancement provided by biologically active soil;
an activity that results from the addition of Organic Matter (hence
the name ORGANIC), on the other.

These distinctions separated the market for organic food from
conventional food market and led to the need or convenience of
drafting legislation in order to create consistent, nationwide
regulations governing materials and practices that could be
considered organic and advertised as such (materials and practices
that would be either permitted or not permitted).

Before Congress approved the Organic Food Production Act of 1990 in
the year 2002 (12 years after OFPA was drafted), except for the few
state laws (that had been passed at that level), only a general
consensus existed regarding what was and what wasn't "Organic".

However: OFPA created a National Organic program (NOP) and a
National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) and significantly, mandated
Organic Certification by USDA accredited third party Certification
Agencies who (some believed), would assure compliance with the
standards the NOSB and NOP approved.

In relation to Pineapple, we know that:

1.- Pineapple flowers naturally over a 1.5 -2 month period,
providing naturally induced pineapples during 2-3 months
of the year, in any single location.

2.- Since the market for pineapple is year round, the led to the
use of substance that either induce or delay the flowering of
pineapple plants in the conventional market, in order to harvest
pineapple over a longer period of time.

3.- Both synthetic ethylene and acetylene (dervived from Calcium
Carbide) accelerate flowering under certain conditions (a topic
which I will not cover here now).

4.- Calcium Carbide is not a naturally occurring substance and would
not normally be approved for use on organic crops.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_carbide>

5.- Persons with an economic interest in the use of Calcium Carbide
claimed that no naturally occurring substance was available and
that therefore, the use of Calcium Carbide to induce flowering
in Pineapple was necessary for cultivating organic pineapple.

6.- The Regulations permitting the use of Calcium Carbide and Ethrel
are temporary and the use of these products is contingent on the
lack of availability of materials or methods more compatible
with organic philosophy and standards.

In conclusion, the legality of the use of these substances for inducing
florescence in organic pineapple depends on the legislation in effect
in the growing and (above all) market countries.

A potential demand exists for substances and/or practices that
induce florescence in organic pineapple in a more manner more
compatible with the standards motivating consumers of organic foods
and governing the organic markets.

This is an interesting topic and I'm glad to see a little more
activity arising from it here on the Organic Pineapple Working Group
Discussion List. <opwg AT lists.ibiblio.org>

Lastly, I'd appreciate it if all those subscribing would submit a
short note (or a C.V.) identifying their experience and activities
related to Organic Pineapple to either the list or myself, if you
haven't done so already.

Thanks in advance,

Douglas Hinds
OPWG Chair
<douglas.hinds AT gmx.com>
<douglas.hinds AT gmail.com>

Coordinador
Alianza para la Responsabilidad Ecológico y Social en el Desarrollo
(Alliance for Ecological and Social Responsibility in Development)
<aresd AT gmx.com>
Mexico