ohp - [OA-monographs] Announcing Digital Light

ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Open access monographs

  • From: Sigi Jottkandt <sigij AT openhumanitiespress.org>
  • To: ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [OA-monographs] Announcing Digital Light
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 16:17:13 +1000

Dear friends,

We're delighted to announce the release of Digital Light, the first
book in our Fibreculture books series, which is edited by Andrew
Muprhie.

Edited by Sean Cubitt, Daniel Palmer and Nathaniel Tkacz, Digital
Light contains essays by Alvy Ray Smith, Sean Cubitt, Terry Flaxton,
Stephen Jones, Carolyn Kane, Scott McQuire, Daniel Palmer, Catheryn
Vasseleu, Christiane Paul, Darren Tofts and Joe Ippolito.

>From the back cover: "Digital Light will be an important book. It
marks a moment in history at which we are coming to terms with a range
of technological convergences that have profoundly shifted the status
of image production and consumption. It maps the ways in which
technologies employing light have evolved from their earliest
manifestations into the somewhat multifarious, operational and highly
distributed conditions of today. It collects a number of very
significant, accomplished practitioners and thinkers, many of whom
actively look back (historically) at how ways of working with light
have altered, evolved and become tangled in other agendas,
implications and dimensions. The rapid shifts in the status and role
of photography – first in the move to digital photography and then to
their embedded smart phone ubiquity and life on photo-sharing websites
and social media, is a repeated theme that returns across many of the
essays. Digital Light also deals with the way in which this shift (and
others) give the image the status of data, the forms of embedded
agency this entails, and the implicit interaction/intersection with
dimensions beyond the ‘image’ per se, through ‘tagging’ of various
sorts, algorithmic construction, and automated functions." - Pia
Ednie-Brown, RMIT, Melbourne

Please consider ordering a copy for your library as you download your
free and open access copy from
http://openhumanitiespress.org/digital-light.html

Warmly,
Sigi, David and Gary
Open Humanities Press

  • [OA-monographs] Announcing Digital Light, Sigi Jottkandt, 06/03/2015