ohp - [OA-monographs] March update

ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Open access monographs

  • From: Sigi Jöttkandt <sigij AT openhumanitiespress.org>
  • To: "ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OA-monographs] March update
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 20:48:29 +0100

Hi all,

Welcoming Raym Crow to this list, this seems a good opportunity to give you an update on the OHP/SPO OA monographs collaboration.

We'll be making a public announcement about our pilot project soon, but I'm happy to report that OHP has secured commitments for 5 open access series which will be edited by senior members of OHP's editorial advisory board and produced and distributed by SPO. We hope to publish around 5 monographs this year, and are working on an ambitious plan to rapidly scale OHP's editorial operations over the next couple of years.

Last month we also wrote a draft for an NEH Institutes for Advanced Topics in the Digital Humanities grant to fund a series of workshops around the future of the monograph/new forms of scholarly communications and the role libraries might play in this future. On the advice of the NEH officer, we've now decided to apply for funding the OHP/SPO collaboration through a different grant program, but if anyone here is interested in having a look at our workshops grant draft with a view to possibly spearheading the workshops series, please feel free to email. We were envisaging them as an opportunity to bring different entities together (scholar publishers, librarians, forward-looking university presses, developers of open source publishing software) to explore in a hands-on way scholars’ needs for the next generation of scholarly communications, with a focus on the long argument or book form.

Best,
Sigi

  • [OA-monographs] March update, Sigi Jöttkandt, 03/11/2009