ohp - [OA-monographs] FW: The Chronicle: Free Our Libraries, Cry University Presidents

ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Open access monographs

  • From: "Brunner, Marta" <martab AT library.ucla.edu>
  • To: <ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OA-monographs] FW: The Chronicle: Free Our Libraries, Cry University Presidents
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 15:50:02 -0700

Title: FW: The Chronicle: Free Our Libraries, Cry University Presidents
Hi all,

I wanted to pass on this white paper that was referenced in the Chronicle of Higher Education.  None of this will be news to us, but it is nice to hear it coming from the mouths of university presidents.

http://www.blc.org/news/BLC_summit_white_paper_9-29-08.pdf

Best,
Marta

****************
Marta L. Brunner, Ph.D.
Librarian for U.S./U.K. Literature and Comparative Literature,
   U.S./U.K. History and the History of Science
11360D Charles E. Young Research Library
UCLA - Box 951575
Los Angeles, California 90095-1575
Tel: 310-825-1249
Fax: 310-825-3777
martab AT library.ucla.edu
http://courseweb.lis.uiuc.edu/~m.brunner/portfolio.html
http://blogs.library.ucla.edu/literature/

October 2, 2008

Free Our Libraries, Cry University Presidents

Presidents of major universities want more library materials distributed online, without prohibitive charges.

At the Universal Access Digital Library Summit, held on September 24 and 25 at the Boston Public Library, Mark Huddleston, president of the University of New Hampshire, Peter Nicholls, provost of the University of Connecticut, and Jack Wilson, president of the University of Massachusetts, called for new approaches to the digitization of library collections that will allow access for all. The presidents urged libraries to halt what they described as an assault on the public’s right to knowledge, done in the name of copyright.

The meeting, which was convened by the Boston Library Consortium, also included the presentations of “Free Our Libraries! Why We Need a New Approach to Putting Library Collections Online,” a white paper<http://www.blc.org/news/BLC_summit_white_paper_9-29-08.pdf> by Richard K. Johnson, senior advisor to the Association of Research Libraries. In the paper, Mr. Johnson argues that libraries need to come up with new financing strategies, coordinate their actions, and adopt “forward-looking” principles to guide book and journal digitization projects. —Josh Fischman

Posted on Thursday October 2, 2008

Copyright © 2008 by The Chronicle of Higher Education

  • [OA-monographs] FW: The Chronicle: Free Our Libraries, Cry University Presidents, Brunner, Marta, 10/03/2008