ohp - Re: [OA-monographs] OHP Monographs

ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Open access monographs

  • From: David Ottina <davido AT openhumanitiespress.org>
  • To: Paul Ashton <paul AT openhumanitiespress.org>
  • Cc: "ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OA-monographs] OHP Monographs
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:05:50 +0200

Hi,

Thanks, Paul, for this summary of our recent background discussion which
gives us some very good launching points.

I just wanted to respond to one comment of John's that came in before we
set up the mailing list (which I'm including below so new list members
can read it):

John Willinsky wrote:

< While this open source system approach may not be the direction in
which OHP wants to move on this, just as such an approach may not be
fit with this mailing list's concerns with the monograph, I would just
add a further word on what we have been thinking about in terms of a
software-development process for a monograph system.

In looking to build an open source system for incubating, managing and
publishing monographs that can be widely used by different groups
(within various disciplinary interests), we hope to see the design and
programming of such a system take place on a distributed development
basis, in true open source fashion, with dispersed groups taking on
discrete components and the Public Knowledge Project providing
coordinating, integrating, and management support, as part of its
ongoing role in maintaining Open Journal and Open Conference Systems.
Which is to say, that there's an open invitation as we move ahead at
this early stage, for groups or individuals to consider whether they
< would like to be included in this distributed development process.

I think your software project does fit in with the concerns of the
mailing list, as OHP needs to discuss operational issues as well as
explore what monograph publishing in an networked world means. I might
add that we are strongly committed to open source. Personally, I see OA
and open source software development as complimentary layers in a
broader movement.

Unfortunately, at this stage, we have no programming resources to offer.
But I think we may be immediately useful as a cluster of humanities
users who can coordinate ourselves to develop use cases, perform task
analyses, organize usability testing -- in short, provide whatever
inputs developers would find helpful.

That said, when OHP gets to the point of applying for funding for
monograph projects (and given the interest I hope that's soon), I think
we will want to write development costs into the project plan in support
of OMP so as to help in creating an infrastructure and platform for
monograph publishing.

Best,
David