oer-discovery - [OER-Discovery] DiscoverEd: Update, Planning, Sprint

oer-discovery AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Search and discovery technology for OER

  • From: Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: oer-discovery AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [OER-Discovery] DiscoverEd: Update, Planning, Sprint
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 15:20:46 -0700

Hello everyone,

This may only be of tangential interest to most of you, but I wanted
to give the group a quick update on the DiscoverEd work we've started
as part of the AgShare project. As you may be aware, AgShare is a
project working to help African Universities develop MSc Agriculture
curriculum resources using OER. Creative Commons is working on
improving DiscoverEd as part of the project. While the project is
focused on agriculture in Africa, we believe that many of the
improvements we make will be generally useful, and will help
publishers create resources that are more amenable to search by any
number of search tools.

We spent much of the past week in face to face meetings working on the
immediate improvements we know DiscoverEd needs, including improving
the query capabilities and reducing the effort needed to deploy the
software. We've also spent a chunk of time upgrading the code from
Nutch 0.8 to Nutch 1.1, the latest release from Apache. This gives us
lots of bug fixes, performance improvements, and additional
flexibility for building extensions. We're making the updated code
available using git, hosted at Gitorious; you can find it at
http://gitorious.org/discovered/. If you're so inclined you can clone
the repository and try out the code. We should have better (er, any)
installation documentation up very soon.

Finally, we're planning at 3 day sprint June 15-17 at Michigan State
University in East Lansing, Michigan. We're bringing organizations
who are interested in using DIscoverEd for their own projects together
to work on common issues and try to bootstrap some of the development.
Space is limited, but if you're available and interested in
participating, please email me off-list for more details. You can
find our initial planning information in the CC wiki at
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/DiscoverEd_Sprint_(June,_2010) We'll
be adding outcomes and notes there, as well.

Comments, questions, and suggestions about DiscoverEd are all welcome.

Regards,

Nathan

----
Nathan R. Yergler
Chief Technology Officer
Creative Commons

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Nathan_Yergler

  • [OER-Discovery] DiscoverEd: Update, Planning, Sprint, Nathan Yergler, 05/03/2010