ocba - [ocba] Bee forage plan

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Robert King <robk2.mindspring.com AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Bee forage plan
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 04:02:22 -0400

Hi All,

I have been doing  some research on a winter cover crop to complement the Alsike clover I planted this past spring, which is blooming nicely right now, I might add.  I have discovered 2 valuable and versatile plant varieties, pennycress (cabbage family) and camelina (mustard family).

Both plants produce early spring flowers that bees need for colony build up in the early spring.  Both have good nectar and pollen value.  Both are well regarded for biodiesel manufacturing and other uses such as wood finishes.

I am seeking advice growing and maintaining this crop by anyone who might have experience with these crops in NC or close by who might could share their experience.  Please unicast me at your convenience.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Robert King
704-562-9495

  • [ocba] Bee forage plan, Robert King, 06/26/2017