ocba - Re: [ocba] Bee Gym?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Doug Edmunds <modfathernc AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Bee Gym?
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 12:47:39 -0400

Hi Doug,

Thanks for posting. Ive heard of it but not seen a video yet. Obviously, fir me i like the idea of multi IPM choices & anything not chemical related(varroa breeding) is a big plus for all of us keepers.

As designed this device is for exposed varroa so im sure you know is only 1/3 of the varroas life cycle. So you are right to say as part of an IPM method. I do like its intent/result of more grooming.

I only have two comments and neither are meant as final judgement. Really the second is a question.

First a cup of powdered sugar sifted over brood nest will cause ALL bees to increase grooming & im sure cost a heck of a lot less. Added bonus of providing a little feed. It like this device are external tools for removing mites.

Second is partly a question. I watched the whole video & only saw the little fingers rubbing the underside of the bees. I never saw a part of this tool rubbing the tops(back of a bee) where i thought varroa spent most of their time hiding from the bees legs. If i understand it correctly varroa are on top & not underneath, so unless i missed something this tool is missing the largest target area where varroa hide.

That would be my only negative comment. I dont know the price either, but im sure its not $10. Id of like to seen a before & after mite drop count as proof the under belly fingers helped.

Not sure if that was helpful or not, but i am 100% for increasing bee grooming.

Marty

Sent from my iPhone