ocba - Re: [ocba] Any special concerns or reasons to inspect hives during warm spells

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Rob Cook <crookkohler AT bellsouth.net>, Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Any special concerns or reasons to inspect hives during warm spells
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 09:12:56 -0500

Rob,

Take a look at the article <here>.

In winter, we need to ensure that our colonies are heavy with honey stores and are alive. We can do both of those without opening the hive up and pulling frames. Lift from the back to determine weight. Put your ear to the side of the brood chamber and give it a knock to determine if the bees are alive.

If we do a full-out inspection this month, there really isn't anything beyond feeding that we can do if we find any problems. We cannot requeen, it isn't the right time for combining weak colonies, Varroa mite damage has already been done,  etc. Plus, presence or absence of brood means absolutely nothing. So doing a in-the-hive inspection right now can satisfy our curiosity and perhaps enhance our bee education but has no value with respect to colony management per se.

Regardless of whether you pull frames or not, feed sugar to your colonies if they are light. Syrup, fondant, candy boards all work fine; the form of the sugar isn't important. We have a long way to go until the main nectar flow starts (see article <here>). Sugar is 40 cents per pound, package bees are $120 each. Do the math.

Does this help?

Randall