ocba - Re: [ocba] [NCSBA-Chapters] Fall testing for October 8 and Hurricane Matthew

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: James Latimer <PipesNC AT live.com>
  • To: Mark Waller <wallermarkw AT gmail.com>, Walter Starks <walterstarks AT icloud.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] [NCSBA-Chapters] Fall testing for October 8 and Hurricane Matthew
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 16:29:10 +0000

Mark,

I volunteer at the NC Zoo honey bee exhibit.  They had a swarm in July that they placed in a nuc.  Instead of transferring to a traditional 10 frame box as they expanded, the Zoo beekeeper added an additional Deep Nuc.  I just spoke to the Zoo Beekeeper about his plans for overwintering; he plans to keep the hive as is for the winter and transfer to a 10 frame box in the spring.  The colony that is in the observation hive will be placed in a nuc as well.  For days warmer then 50 degrees the bees will be transferred back into the observation hive.  They mainly use nucs for overwintering due to the small colony size kept for the observation hive.  If it is a small colony, its is best to give the bees less space to protect.

Keep on Keeping on,

Jamie