ocba - [ocba] Oddball queen cell??

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: John Rintoul <beecd AT icloud.com>
  • To: Bynum Hoekstra <bynumhoekstra AT gmail.com>, Randall Austin <s.randall.austin AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Oddball queen cell??
  • Date: Sun, 01 May 2016 17:12:35 -0400

Bynum,
Thanks for sending the pics. New beeks see cool stuff in their hives because
they are looking more often than the rest of us. I'm glad you are looking and
sharing what you see.

Two things argue against this being a supercedure cell. 1) It appears to be
on a honey comb rather than a brood comb; and 2) it is horizontally oriented.

I have to admit, the long, tapering section on the right looks like a queen
cell. It may be, but I question it. I'm surprised that there is enough space
between the comb faces for them to build this w/o attaching to the adjoining
comb face. I've copied Randall and OCBA listserv participants on this.
Perhaps someone will offer a second/third/fourth opinion.

My opinion - your bees are pulling nectar from opium poppies and trippin'😊.
Or, they're just doing it to mess with your head. As Walter reminds us with
his e-mail, "You never can tell with bees."

JPEG image

JPEG image

John

  • [ocba] Oddball queen cell??, John Rintoul, 05/01/2016