ocba - Re: [ocba] Oxalic acid treatment for varroa

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Todd Walker <mtwalker AT imageray.net>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Oxalic acid treatment for varroa
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2016 14:19:34 -0400

Oxalic acid should only be used when the colony is broodless so one would think that it would be perfect to use right after hive a swarm or package (an artificial swarm). It is not. Fumigant treatments (or any treatment for that matter) can be very stressful to the bees. Remember that a swarm or package has no reason to remain in the hive. There is no brood and in some cases no drawn comb. Nothing to make them want to stay. Using a treatment before they have fully accepted their new home could lead to them absconding. Once you hive a package or swarm, leave them alone for two weeks, only disturbing them to quickly check the queen has been released ( in the case of a package) and to feed them.

If you are determined to do something you might consider the Dowda Method of sugar dusting:

~Todd