ocba - [ocba] Robbing capped brood?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Janet Weinberg <janetweinberg AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Robbing capped brood?
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 04:10:42 +0000 (UTC)

I was watching the buzzing around of one of my hives 2 days ago and noticed a tiny white glob on the cedar block holding the hive.  I few minutes later another glob was dragged out and minutes later another.  I decided to pick them up, took them inside and they were unborn bees.  legs, wings, eyes.  I went back and watched 15 mins. or so and nothing more but as I was leaving a swarm came out, circled overhead and  moved into the trees.  I went inside for about 2 hours and went out to inspect and found the cedar block holes under the swarmed hive packed with bees. I managed to get them into a package, wire sided box, put an empty med. box on the hive, laid the bee box on its side, opened the round opening and closed the hive.  The next day the bees had rejoined their hive so I put a med. with frames on it and closed it up.

The other hive about 2 feet away beside it didn't seem to notice any of this.

Why did they bring out the obviously unborn bees and will they try swarming again?

Thanks,
Janet Weinberg