ocba - [ocba] Fwd: Image Correction: NC Botanical Garden: Native Flowers Photo Exhibit/John Pringle opens Sep 1/Saving Our Pollinators

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Chris Apple <chrisapple1231 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Fwd: Image Correction: NC Botanical Garden: Native Flowers Photo Exhibit/John Pringle opens Sep 1/Saving Our Pollinators
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 12:42:56 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Allison Savicz <ASavicz AT w5insight.com>
Date: Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 3:06 PM

The attached image for your use in my recent delivery of this message was misidentified.  The image attached is Oconee Bells. Photo by John Pringle. Thank you for your consideration. Allison Savicz

ncbglogo_green rgb

Photography Exhibit

Native Flowers: Gifts of Pollinators

Works by Chapel Hill Photographer John Pringle on view September 1—November 1

Part of Saving Our Pollinators program series

Media Contact: Allison Savicz

(919) 923-2791; asavicz AT w5insight.com

www.ncbg.unc.edu/pollinators

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 5, 2015

Chapel Hill, NC —The North Carolina Botanical Garden (NCBG) is pleased to present photographic works by John Pringle, September 1 – November 1 2015, at the NCBG DeBerry Gallery, 100 Old Mason Farm Road, Chapel Hill.

Native Flowers: Gifts of Pollinators includes over 30 photographs of native flowers of the Southeastern U.S., and some of their pollinators, including insects and birds.  The photographs were taken in the Chapel Hill garden of John’s wife Betsy and in the mountain region they frequent in Transylvania County, NC.

Highlights of the exhibit include five of the sixteen species of indigenous native American Azaleas.  These plants are not common azaleas originated from Asia that typically adorn gardens and golf course in the American South.  Native azaleas are very different from the Asian azaleas widely seen in many gardens in the southeastern US each spring.

Also included is a photograph of a historically significant plant, Oconee Bells, first discovered in 1788 by French botanist Andre Michaux.  Ignored and forgotten, the plant was re-discovered in the wild almost 100 years later, not by a botanist, but by a teenager walking along the banks of the Catawba River near Marion, NC, thus ending one of the great mysteries in American botany.

This exhibit is in conjunction with Saving Our Pollinators, a four month series of events and programs now through October 3 highlighting the crucial need for and current plight of pollinators. The series features an indoor native bee exhibit, lunchbox talks, lectures, workshops, art classes, hikes and tours, and children’s programs, culminating with the Garden’s annual native fall plant sale October 2-3 2015.

This exhibit is dedicated to the late Jonathan Howes, UNC leader and interim director at the North Carolina Botanical Garden from 2014-15.

About John Pringle

After an early interest in photography as a teenager, Pringle spent his professional career as a financial economist on the faculty of the Kenan-Flagler Business School at UNC.  Now retired, Pringle’s interest in photography resurfaced in 2005 with the advent of digital photography. “The photographs in this exhibit are the result of my renewed interest,” added Pringle. For more information: www.pringleimages.com.

About the North Carolina Botanical Garden

The North Carolina Botanical Garden, part of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, is a 1,000-acre assemblage of display gardens and natural areas and is nationally known as a center for the study, display, interpretation and conservation of plants. Educational, recreational, therapeutic horticulture and research programs extend opportunities for connection with nature to people of all abilities and backgrounds. Open seven days a week and admission is free.

ncbglogo_green rgb

100 Old Mason Farm Road • Chapel Hill NC 27517 • ncbg.unc.edu/pollinators/

  • [ocba] Fwd: Image Correction: NC Botanical Garden: Native Flowers Photo Exhibit/John Pringle opens Sep 1/Saving Our Pollinators, Chris Apple, 08/05/2015