ocba - [ocba] Installing a package

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Janet Weinberg <janetweinberg AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Installing a package
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 16:21:13 +0000 (UTC)

I just installed a package with a queen quickly, easily and without stress to the bees.  I was told this method by a commercial beekeeper.  Not a nuc with frames.

I had the new brood box in place and randomly sprayed the frames with sugar water.
Sprayed sugar water on wire sides of nuc.
Had sugar water feeder on the front of the hive.
Removed the feeding can and queen keeping the opening covered preventing a swarm of bees flying out.
Installed queen cage.
Placed an empty medium on brood box.
Placed nuc on it's side on brood frames, uncovered the opening which is now on the side and quickly placed the hive top on.

Bees started appearing exiting the hive entrance within minutes doing their orientation flights.  I was told to leave it until the next day but with so many bees coming out I couldn't resist so I looked in after 3 hours and the nuc was empty so I removed it along with the empty box and replaced the lid.  The nuc and empty had some bees so I sat them In front of the hive.   The bees swarmed around the hive until bedtime and over night gobbled the sugar water so I added more this morning.  They are busy, busy and I am happy.  I won't go in and check the queen until tomorrow and will report back if there is a problem with her .  I really like this method which does not stress me or the bees.

Janet Weinberg

  • [ocba] Installing a package, Janet Weinberg, 05/24/2015