ocba - [ocba] Fwd: Breaking news: Bees

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Rich Snover <risnover AT aol.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Fwd: Breaking news: Bees
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 13:40:56 -0400

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Barry Nakell <bnakell AT nc.rr.com>
Date: May 1, 2015 at 10:56:15 AM EDT
To: Rich Snover <risnover AT aol.com>
Subject: Fwd: Breaking news: Bees

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Dave Rogers, Environment North Carolina Director" <action AT environmentnorthcarolina.org>
Subject: Breaking news: Bees
Date: May 1, 2015 at 10:06:12 AM EDT

A new study finds that bee-killing pesticides may be even more harmful than previously thought. To save the bees, we need to get them off the market for good. Please donate today.

Dear Barry,

A blockbuster new report has found that the pesticides killing millions of bees all over the world might be even more harmful than previously thought.

The new report finds that neonicotinoids—the pesticides linked to the global bee die-off—may be not only deadly to bees but also addictive to them.1

You see, neonicotinoids are derived from nicotine, the powerfully addictive stimulant in tobacco. And it turns out that bees love it. Even though it kills them.

We need to convince the Obama administration to get these pesticides off the market, so we can save the bees before it's too late.

Click here to make a donation.

Previously, it was thought that bees were repelled by neonicotinoids. Scientists knew that they were harmful to bees, but at least the bees weren’t attracted to them, right?

Wrong. This new study finds that bees actually prefer food sources treated with these nicotine-like pesticides to natural alternatives like sugar water.2

The good news is that the Obama administration is already taking the threat to bees seriously. They recently announced a moratorium on approving new neonicotinoid pesticides.3 And last June, President Obama created a special task force to develop a strategy to save the bees.4

But especially in light of these new findings, the EPA needs to do more and act faster.

We're demanding immediate action to ban bee-killing pesticides to help stop the massive global bee die-off. Please make a donation today.

Thanks for making it all possible.

Yours,

Dave Rogers
Environment North Carolina Director

Sources:

1. Bees may become addicted to nicotine-like pesticides, study finds, The Guardian, April 22, 2015

2. Buzz Over Bee Health: New Pesticide Studies Rev Up Controversy, NPR, April 22, 2015

3. EPA Restricts Use of Pesticides Suspected of Killing Bees, NBC News, April 2, 2015

4. Obama announces plan to save honey bees, CNN, June 23, 2014

  • [ocba] Fwd: Breaking news: Bees, Rich Snover, 05/01/2015