ocba - [ocba] Getting first packages of bees

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Meredith Friedrick <friema16 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Getting first packages of bees
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 20:56:40 -0400

Here's a real novice question:

I don't have bees yet (don't have the hives yet either) and want to order some now for arrival in spring.  Through reading the posts on the listserv, I read that getting local queens is preferable to getting them shipped from long distances (due to travel and disruption, etc., I guess).  Is there such a thing as getting locally-raised packages of bees (with the queens) in order to keep from being shipped from a great distance?  If so, where can I get them and when should I order them?

Thanks in advance,
Meredith Friedrick