ocba - Re: [ocba] Some Follow Up From Last Night

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Some Follow Up From Last Night
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 09:59:43 -0400 (EDT)

Lewis

On August 15, 2014 at 9:45 AM Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com> wrote:
Good Morning Beekeepers,
I wanted to follow up on a few things from our meeting last night.

Walter sent a link to the NC Certified Honey program, but this will only be available to members of NCSBA.  If you are not a member of NCSBA yet but are interested in the program, I have attached a pdf to this message that includes an application.

Here is a link to the pesticide paper that we looked at briefly last night for those that wanted more information about that.  Here is a link to papers that have been published within the last 4 years that cite the paper we talked about last night.

I also discovered this week that it is possible to read Bee Culture on-line for free if you have a library card.  Go to NCLive.org.  On the left side of the page click on "Find a journal, magazine, or newspaper by title."  Search for Bee Culture.  You will need to log in with a library card number at some point.  My Orange County card gave me access but I am sure other local library cards may work as well.  You will be able to search and read Bee Culture back to 1998.

Many times the question arises, "Do I have to monitor?  Can't I just treat?"  Ross Conrad addresses this in his August 2012 article in Bee Culture which I have attached.  Ross is the author of "Natural Beekeeping", In his article he says, "Once I began keeping more than a dozen or so hives, I gave up on monitoring and just treated all my colonies as a matter of course, usually once in Autumn."  My impression is that he still employs monitoring to make sure his treatment was effective.

Chris indicated that Todd Warner will be with us next month to talk about the Certified Naturally Grown program.  I hope you will stop in and look around the Certified Naturally Grown website between now and then to get a feel for the program.

Cheers,